How Do I ...
Online Services
Public Records
About DSS
Economic Services
Public Assistance
Food and Nutrition Services
Employment Security Commission
Work First Family Assistance
Applying for Benefits
Medicaid for Family and Children
Medicaid for Adults
Community Social Work
Services for Families
Services for Children
Services for Adults
Transportation Services

Work First Family Assistance 

Watch video to learn how to apply for Work First

Work First Family Assistance or Temporary Assistance for Needy Families (TANF) provides cash assistance and Medicaid coverage to families with minor children.

Work First Family Assistance provides parents with short-term training and other services to help them become employed and move toward self-sufficiency. Other families, where grandparents and other relatives are caring for their relative children, are able to receive services and support that also prevents children from entering the foster care system unnecessarily.

Mecklenburg County residents may apply for the Work First Family Assistance program at the Department of Social Services at our Billingsley Road or Freedom Drive locations.

In cases involving the absence of a parent from the home, a referral is sent to the State Child Support Enforcement Agency to locate the absent parent, establish paternity, and set up a plan of support. Work First regulations also require participation in work activities.

Review the NC Temporary Assistance for Needy Families (TANF) State Plan 2013-2016.


Want more information?


Employment Services

Work First Employment Services assist qualified Work First recipients in becoming self sufficient and free of long term welfare dependence. This is accomplished by providing recipients with basic education, skills training and supportive services such as day care, counseling, transportation and job referrals.


Printed from: