Storm Water Projects
Drainage & Flooding
Pollution Prevention
Fees & Billing
Storm Water A-Z
Print this PageSite Feedback
Elevation Certificates
After you finish building in a FEMA-regulated floodplain—but before anyone moves in or uses the building—you must get an Elevatio​n Cert​ificate (FEMA form 086-0-33).  

The Elevation Certificate form must be completed by a land surveyor, licensed engineer, or architect registered in the State of North Carolina. An Elevation Certificate is necessary before you can receive a Certificate of Occupancy and before the power company can turn on electricity to the building.

The Elevation Certificate is required by the National Flood Insurance Program to determine flood insurance rates for the structure. It also provides documentation that your community is enforcing its building and floodplain ordinances.

See the list of Elevation Certificates on file

For more information about Elevation Certificates, contact:
Charlotte-Mecklenburg Storm Water Services Floodplain Permitting Office
704-432-RAIN (7246)