Storm Water Projects
Drainage & Flooding
Pollution Prevention
Fees & Billing
Storm Water A-Z
Print this PageSite Feedback
Who should buy flood insurance?

Anyone at even low to moderate risk of flooding.


Everyone lives in a floodzone. Some places have higher flood risks than others. If you live on a hill, your risk may be reduced. But it is not eliminated. Flooding can happen anywhere.

Each year:

25% of flood insurance claims are from outside high-risk areas (regulated, mapped floodplains)

Standard homeowners insurance or business insurance does not cover flood damage.

Flood Insurance is required for most property owners in the FEMA-regulated floodplain. But anyone can buy flood insurance—for property inside or outside of the mapped floodplain.  

Some mortgage lenders even require flood insurance for property that is not actually in a regulated floodplain, but touches one. 

You can buy flood insurance to cover damage to the building itself or what's inside. Coverage is available for residential and business property. Renters can buy flood insurance for their furniture, clothing and other possessions.

Figure out the value o​f what's in your home​

Flood map. 

How much coverage is available?

Homeowners: can buy coverage up to $250,000 for the building and up to $100,000 for contents

Business owners: can buy coverage up to $500,000 for the building and another $500,000 for contents

Renters: can buy coverage up to $100,000 for contents

How much flood insurance coverage do I need?
Check out the "Cost of Flooding" interactive tool from the National Flood Insurance Program.

Likelihood of flood damage
Areas with a 1% chance of flooding in a given year are considered high-risk areas. At least 25% of homes in high-risk areas flood at least once during the term of a 30 year mortgage. Many flood more than once.

How do I buy flood insurance?


For more information about flood insurance, contact:​

David Kroening    
Charlotte-Mecklenburg Storm Water Services