Storm Water Projects
Drainage & Flooding
Pollution Prevention
Fees & Billing
Storm Water A-Z
Print this PageSite Feedback
How Charlotte-Mecklenburg Storm Water Services is Funded

​Charlotte-Mecklenburg Storm Water Services is funded through user charges based on impervious surface.  

How much customers pay

Single-family, residential customers are grouped into billing tiers based on the amount of impervious area on the property. Charlotte-Mecklenburg has four Storm Water billing tiers for single-family, residential customers.

Duplexes, condominiums and businesses are considered "commercial" customers. Storm Water fees are calculated using "Equivalent Residential Units" or ERUs.  The ERU is calculated at 2,613 square feet.  

All Storm Water customer accounts are assessed a fixed charge to cover administrative and billing expenses.

See the storm water rates 

How the revenue is allocated

The City of Charlotte, Mecklenburg County and six incorporated Towns have a single Storm Water utility, but have divided storm water responsibilities among themselves based on the "major" and "minor" storm water system.

Little Sugar Creek and outfall 

The Major System fee provides funds to maintain and improve named creeks and the regulated floodplain throughout the entire County. 

Major systems are defined as streams that drain more than one square mile of land.  The Major System fee also pays for water quality monitoring in lakes and named creeks, and some projects to improve water quality in named creeks and watersheds. Mecklenburg County administers Major System programs, even inside incorporated municipalities.
The Minor System fee provides funds for the City of Charlotte, unincorporated Mecklenburg County and six Towns to address drainage improvement and water quality needs. Minor systems are defined as tributaries, channels, pipes, catch basins and culverts on private property and in the street right-of-way draining less than one square mile of land.
Major System and Minor System fees are based on annual capital budget needs and long-term storm water plans including meeting federal and state water quality requirements and completing backlogged citizen requests for service. 

Fee credits (fee reductions and exemptions) are considered on a case-by-case basis.
Water in storm drainage culvert

For more information, contact City of Charlotte Storm Water Services Administration Team Leader Joe Hecksher at 704-336-7276 or Mecklenburg County Water & Land Resources Director Dave Canaan at 980-314-3209​.